Timing’s a bit weird on this one, I guess. The last instalment was immediately before the election, and had I posted last week I guess we all still would have been in shock slightly but now this feels like the world we live in. It doesn’t matter too much. I’ve done alright at maintaining my position of minimising the amount of American politics I read about. I’ve still found myself reading more post-mortems than I’d like before realising that life is short. All this pre-amble to say that I’ve tried not to make this list all about Trump.
I settled on the song of the week about ten days ago. There’s a post-election piece later in the list about Marvin Gaye and it made me download What’s Goin On again and TBH as an album it’s kind of… a lot of filler and mumbling? IDK I know it’s a classic. but the title track is just so good. So ‘ave a bit of that.
- Here’s that good Marvin Gaye thing actually.
- OK. Two American election #takes and that’s your lot. One of which, odds are you’ll already have seen because most of my regular readers know each other and the author so why bother sharing it? cos it’s good, lads, and contains the line “evil always wins”. Also this from Dan O’Sullivan is good I thought.
- Think it was Men’s Day yesterday. This one is old, and I might have shared it the first time round, but still think it’s worth reading – on the stiff upper lip killing us lads.
- Wonderful defence of libraries.
- This is kind of long and probably states the obvious at times but it’s a good unpicking of the notion of Western civilization.
- It’s jumper season I guess (so cold) – this is cute.
- God, remember Neopets? It’s still there, but just… a bit weird.
- Always here for writing 6,000 words too many on a TV program. This extended critique of Ross from Friends is good.
- Kinda lovely bit of stuff about bars.
- This did the rounds after Leonard Cohen died, on the rise of Hallelujah. Bonus: the undercurrent of vicious contempt for Jeff Buckley.
- This is just like an extended write-up of a PR stunt, but when the PR stunt happens in zero gravity I guess it’s OK.
- Kind of quietly beautiful this – Golby went back to where he grew up and just wandered around I guess. Got that sort of slight sense of alienation I get when you English people talk about your childhoods like these are all standard experiences. What’s wrong with just playing Morrowind imo.
- Oobah (not even a proper name) continues his reign of terror at Vice – this time, spending a night out in London without spending anything.
That’s your lot. Bye. x