Good to get feedback from the fans, keeps me levelled. “too miserable”, they say. “too many long grim articles about how we’re all going to die”, they wail. Sick of it. So this week is mostly just bubblegum and computer games. Because I’m nothing if not a people-pleaser.
Have you noticed I’ve binned the song of the week? I got bored of it. Also, no picture of a cat this week. I did accidentally let a kitten into my flat the other day when I had just made an unnecessary round trip to St Albans, but it feels dishonest to use Kev to get clicks. Let’s go.
- Good thing about sitting on articles for months at a time is you get to stash up articles which were about a thing that was freshly tragic at the time and then unleash them on your unsuspecting readers out of the blue. So I’ve got a couple of lovely articles about Carrie Fisher. This one is an excerpt from her memoir/diaries, about Harrison Ford, and it’s even more poignant now. This one was from the editor of her advice column in the Guardian, and it’s lovely. IDK, made you all sad again haven’t I?
- So while we’re feeling low, this is v. powerful by Megan Nolan on Marie Stopes having to cut back on support for Irish women travelling for abortions and her own experience.
- OK the party starts now! Literally! A tribute to the jagerbomb! When I worked at Spoons, there was a fella who came in everyday from work at the posh cocktail bar across the road and ordered a pint of guest cider and a jagerbomb and just drank them on his own. Sometimes I’d convince him to do the 2 for £6 deal even though it was a bit of a con. Little pointless vignette for you there.
- Reckon success has gone to his head a bit, the videos are getting indulgent, but the Chicken Connoisseur was such a great little thing to discover. Like this profile from back when he burst into the mainstream.
- On the other end of the posh scale, I really liked this day in the life of a grand old restaurant.
- The trick to avoiding the gym cons outlined here is just to be astonishingly hungover for most of January and only make it back in six weeks after Christmas when you’re fat and weak and can’t even lift your water bottle let alone a dumbbell. #lifehack
- Literally just an article about some soft porn mags, I think, but because they’re from 1970s Lebanon, it’s cool and interesting.
- I had no idea Obama kept the same barber while he was President but he even flew the guy out!
- When Slate started their week-long tribute series to Stevie Wonder it read like they were trying to jinx the man to death. He seems to have survived it, and this is great on just how incredible the run of albums around Innervisions
- A feminist analysis of the best film ever made.
- This is some great nerd stuff – instead of obituarying Carrie Fisher, they obituaried Leia Organa as a political figure.
- Two little analyses of data formats and literacy standards in the Star Wars universe because I am a vile nerd and clearly didn’t get bullied enough as a lad.
- Board games are pretty cool aren’t they? Me and the other three readers of this blog are trying to get a little monthly game going (text me, lads), and they’re surprisingly fun – not quite Company of Heroes…
- BOOM TRANSITION this is an old piece about the making of Company of Heroes but it’s good and I miss it.
- Great in-depth analysis of a level in Dishonored 2, a game that sounds great but just like its predecessor I am too terrible at stealth games to engage with.
- Mini Metro is a pretty cool little £1 phone game. It’s also apparently an excellent model of real-life transit systems. Cool!
- Absolutely livid, between this piece about how the developers overhauled it and the expansion bringing Morrowind into the game, I’m now desperate to acquire the Elder Scrolls MMO despite it being thoroughly mediocre by all accounts. Such a mug.
- The lads at Shortlist got scouted by Football Manager and incorporated into the game and this is just very funny.
- This is a weird article about a film that never existed and a bunch of people who are convinced it does.
- Strange thing about being from a place but not for long enough to really feel ownership of it is that this kind of content feels extremely familiar but also utterly alien. Anyway, it’s a fucking Tab (I know) article about Sutton, or “the ends” as I call them generally.
- Would absolutely read a long-form version of this analysis of how TV’s famous couples ended up. Honestly please click.
- This is high-level nerd but kinda quite sweet on Batman helping someone with mental illness? IDK I’m embarrassed reading that sentence back almost but.
- Brilliant profile of Buzz Aldrin.
- If you’re still fussed about every owning some bricks and windows and that, this Golby might depress you but it’s mostly quite funny.
- I liked this a lot on therapy.
- Cool feature about the fella what invented the Raspberry Pi, which sounds really cool and I want one now even though I know I’d get sick of it immediately and put it in a drawer.
- Look at this fat fucking pig my god.
Cool, that’s your lot. And now I’m off for a Spoons breakfast, with, I think 75% of this blog’s readership. Pointless. x