I think the genesis of this list thing was that I was on my own in Madrid, sitting in lots of bars reading – sometimes books, but lots and lots of articles, and I needed somewhere to put them all. That and I wanted to become a Blogger, and thought this would be a good little way in. Anyway, fast forward three years and the news is all bad, and I wouldn’t have the time to read all the content even if I wanted to. I recently took out a Marvel Unlimited subscription, and now instead of reading the latest lukewarm take in the Guardian, I just read thoroughly mediocre comics about characters I don’t recognise in the slightest. Its doing wonders for my health tbh. Not great for accumulating content for you all though. Soz. Let’s go through my paltry offerings.
Bonus high-quality bit of comic art:
I mean, ffs.
- Good, non-sensationalist analysis* of the assassination of Kim Jong-Nam.
- A call for bold, radical, utopian demands on immigration and borders, instead of technocratic pandering.
- This story about an initiative in Monterrey (in Mexico, in case, like me, you were convinced it was in the States) led by former gang members to create truces between gangs, is lovely.
- Bit spooky that TfL has been tracking all our phones on the underground, but all their findings are really quite interesting so fair play.
- Found this piece from an Irish emigré in London quite moving.
- Will Self just roams London, apparently. Must be nice being a writer. Got a lot of respect for the idea of just walking to Heathrow
- A peek behind the curtain at all the witchcraft that goes on with those terrifying-looking dresses on the red carpet.
- This is quite sad, fair warning. Eva Wiseman’s cat died, and she had to explain it to her toddler. Maybe give it a miss if you’re feeling fragile, idk!
- OK so this is rude! NSFW and that, but a proper classicist did an analysis of dick pics and masculinity using the myth of Priapus as the hook. Ancient Romans were so rude! (all the rude bits are like 2000-year old paintings and sculptures tbf)
- Found this interview with the actor who plays Mace Tyrell weirdly charming.
- It’s your boy, the biggest mark in the galaxy, getting excited for the Morrowind expansion again. Don’t even know I included this in the list tbh. Sick of it.
And that’s it. lol. Have a good fortnight, and I’ll be back with some more dregs soon! xx
*which I guess isn’t easy, as it’s a pretty sensational kind of event