We’re now about four days into the general election and I’m already so tired. Here are some articles to distract yourself from the grinding tedium and misery of the news this week.
Still haven’t gotten right into the new Kendrick album (one song sounds like Flight of the Conchords tbh) but the second song is great. Is the video good? IDK I’ve not seen it. Here it is:
- Smart analysis, going beyond perverse fascination with the size of the bomb, of that strike on ISIS in Afghanistan.
- Cannot believe I’m including #election content I’m livid. This is encouraging and optimistic on how Labour’s massively increased membership could help this election. I’m sceptical because I have been canvassing twice and hated it a lot, but there we are. Will see what marginal seats there are near me (I live at the border between Keir Starmer, Jeremy Corbyn and Emily Thornberry’s constituencies tbh). On the other hand, this is really good on the constant struggle between the knowledge that evil always wins, and the hope that this time it might not.
- Review of some books on housing in the US that are really interesting on eviction and the foreclosure crisis.
- I only did about a fortnight in the call centre (awful and I got sacked), so while this piece on the constant supervision sounds familiar, I think I was lucky not to have been so ground down by it.
- Really good long article on the chocolate factory that moved from the UK to Poland, the workforces at both ends, the history, the politics of the moves, all of it. Really interesting and nuanced.
- It’s nice to see vile oil companies getting found out even if it doesn’t go anywhere – this is a good dig into Shell Oil’s dealings with a bent Nigerian oil minister.
- I always figured the reason not to donate a kidney is you’d have to stay off the pints. This article on donating one to a stranger is interesting and quite moving, but doesn’t mention the pints factor.
- Having watched spellbound as a nerd online opened up a booster pack of pokemon cards on camera, I was v interested in this article on the phenomenon of “unboxing” videos.
- This could have been longer and more detailed, tbh, but it goes some of the way to explaining why cocktails are so expensive (some of the way).
- This was a good Golby I guess, especially as god wouldn’t it be nice not to be in England for a bit. Dreadful place.
Bye, lads. Hopefully I’ll talk to you before the election but if not, vote Labour x